Tuesday, January 09, 2007

A Cat's Life: Toilet Training

Cat feces carry a risk to both pregnant women and immunosupressed people. They can transmit the pathogen Toxoplasma, of which cats are not the only carrier. Besides being infectious, cat feces and urine are just gross to deal with, so Sunny and I have been planning to train Ulysses to use the toilet for a long time.

Firstly, I looked around on amazon.com to see what was available, and then read some reviews. I found that I needed a training device, though some people have used plastic wrap, like Saran, for a trainer. Then I needed flushable litter. Though I had a device picked out on amazon, I ended up buying Doogie's Litter Kwitter at the local retail pet store so that I could return it if it didn't work. So far Ulysses is making a mess, since the training seat isn't deep enough to hold a lot of litter, and Ulysses is a big cat. Litter gets all over the bathroom floor, and sometimes there's poop too. Eew. But hopefully the mess will be offset by future freedom from sifting through kitty litter for cat poo. And no toxoplasmosis when I'm pregnant.

No comments: